Membership in National Honor Society is an honor bestowed upon students who have demonstrated exceptional scholarship, leadership, service, and character, and members are expected to continue to excel in these areas after induction. Students do not apply for positions in the society; rather, sophomores and juniors who meet the academic criteria of a 3.500 cumulative GPA are invited to submit additional information and then are evaluated by the Faculty Council. If the Faculty Council decides, by majority vote, that exceptional service, leadership, and scholarship have been clearly demonstrated, the candidate will be invited to be inducted into the Bishop Hartley Chapter of NHS. The chapter meets at least once per month and participates in additional projects that serve both the school and the surrounding community, including a tutoring program here at Hartley and our participation in the annual Evening of Excellence Auction.
Selection is based upon the following criteria.
Each candidate must:
- Be a sophomore or junior in good standing;
- Have at least one semester of residency at Hartley. This will be waived if the student has already been inducted into NHS at another school (written verification needed);
- Have earned and hold a 3.500 cumulative GPA;
- Complete and submit the Candidate Form;
- Provide evidence of exceptional, significant and consistent voluntary service to the community;
- Be evaluated by the entire faculty on the basis of demonstrated leadership and character;
- Be recommended by majority vote of the faculty council after consideration of demonstrated leadership, service, and character.
The chapter meets at least once per month on Thursdays after school. Additional meetings take place in the fall to prepare for Induction and in the spring to prepare for the Evening of Excellence Auction. Participation in the life of the chapter is an expectation of membership, so attendance is important. Meeting dates are provided in advance.
Once inducted, members of the National Honor Society are expected to maintain the excellence that earned them membership in the organization. Specifically, members are expected to maintain a 3.500 cumulative GPA and to complete a minimum of 30 hours of approved and verified community service during each calendar year.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Additional information and the most commonly asked questions and answers can be found HERE.
Mrs. Anna Mullins
614.237.5421 ext 10722
e | firstname.lastname@example.org
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY DOCUMENTS FOR DOWNLOAD
|NHS Constitution updated 2017|
|NHS Hartley BYLAWS March 1 2013|