BISHOP HARTLEY ENGLISH DEPARTMENT
Mrs. Juli Roberts, Chairperson
(614) 237-5421 ext. 10728
English Department Teaching Staff
|Brad Burchfield||Dr. William Kinnison||Judith Manley||Megan Brown|
|Jessica Ramey||Kathy Servick||Mike Winters||Melissa Pearce|
English Department PhilosophyThe English Department's courses are designed to improve student awareness of the important role that the English language and its literature play in student intellectual, personal and life developments. Essential to the overall program of studies, the English courses emphasize the fostering of written and oral comprehension, of critical thinking abilities, and of fluency in the communication and expression of ideas.
While the English teachers stress competence in the areas of writing, reading, speaking and listening, they also present opportunities, experiences and activities that will aid students in their becoming effective users of print and non-print media. Literary and media works, selected for excellence in both style and content, will promote spiritual and humanistic attitudes, apprecition for the beauty of words and thoughts, awareness and acceptance of a diversified society and skills within the realms of critical thinking.
The English Department encourages the development of each student's individual potential through critical thinking, concise and clear writing, fluent and articulate speech, effective decision making, intellectual risk taking and total respect for all.
- English 9 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 9, No Prerequisite
- English 10 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 10, Prerequisite: English 9
- English 11 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 11, Prerequisite: English 10
- English 12 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 12, Prerequisite: English 11
- Writing Workshop — 1 Semester, 1/2 Credit, Grades 11 & 12, No Prerequisite
- Creative Writing — 1 Semester, 1/2 Credit, Grades 10, 11, 12, Prerequisite: Writing proficiency and submission of student's current creative writing samples.
- Journalism — 1 or 2 Semesters, 1 or 1/2 Credit, Grades 10, 11, 12, Prerequisite: Recommendation of English Teacher.
Honors and AP English Courses
- Honors English 9 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 9, Prerequisite: Placement Test and recommendation
- Honors English 10 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 10, Prerequisite: A- or above in Honors English 9 or an A in English 9 and/or teacher recommendation.
- Honors English 11 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 11, Prerequisite: B or above in Honors English 10 or an A in English 10 and teacher recommendation.
- Junior AP English Language and Composition — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 11, Prerequisite: A in Honors English, teacher recommendation, and superior achievement on placement test.
- Honors English 12 — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 12, Prerequisite: B or above in Honors English 11 or an A in English 11, teacher recommendation, and completed English 11 research paper.
- Senior AP English Literature and Composition — 2 Semesters, 1 Credit, Grade 12, Prerequisite: B+ or above in AP English 11, teacher recommendation, and completed English 11 research paper.
Summer Reading ListAll students will be required to read from the required summer reading list and be prepared for an assessment within the first week or two of school. The list is available HERE as well as from our English Department Forms list, below.
ENGLISH DEPARTMENT FORMS & DOCUMENTS
All publications from the English Department that apply to the school and not individual classroom syllabi are available from this page.
Assignments and forms for individual classroom work may be attained through Brainhoney.